The best pre-emergent herbicide can help you get your dream lawns, which are free of unwanted weeds.
As you might know, prevention is better than cure. Therefore, you should stop the weeds when they haven’t started germinating. This is where pre-emergent products have an advantage over other types of herbicide.
They are designed to kill hundreds of grass weeds and broadleaf weeds while still maintaining houseplants, trees, flower beds, and other ornamental shrubs.
They might save you many backbreaking hours of bending over to pull weeds.
Let’s discover more with me below.
- Top 15 Highest CFM Leaf Blower Reviews 2023
- Top 15 Best Gas String Trimmers Reviews 2023
- Top 15 Best Plant Humidifier Reviews 2023
- Top 15 Best Hand Saws For Cutting Trees Reviews 2023
- Muskmelon VS Cantaloupe: What is The Difference, Which One Is Better?
- Top 15 Best Ratchet Pruners Reviews 2023
- Top 15 Best Dandelion Killers For Lawns Reviews 2023
- Top 15 Most Accurate Outdoor Thermometers Reviews 2023
What is Pre-Emergent Herbicide?
Pre-emergent herbicide is a popular way to prevent weeds from your lawn. It creates a powerful barrier on the top layer of the ground so that weeds have no chance to grow.
It might contain one or more of the following active ingredients:
- Prodiamine blocks the root from developing by stopping cell division. It’s suitable for crops such as soybeans and ornamentals.
- Dithiopyr is a mitotic inhibitor of normal cell division. Therefore, it ceases weed root extensions in lawns, vines, and ornamentals.
- Isoxaben is perfect in suppressing the growth of a wide range of weeds and has a long-lasting effect.
- Trifluralin kills weed seeds and; therefore, it controls annual grasses and broadleaf weeds.
What Are The Best Pre-Emergent Herbicides?
The best pre-emergent herbicides can keep your lawns in their best conditions without the interference of weeds. When looking for the best pre-emergent herbicide, look closely at Quali-Pro Prodiamine, Southern Ag, or Preen.
They’re known for their quality, effectiveness, and simple application. Let’s scan through some of their top pre-emergent herbicide as follows.
- Best Overall: Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“A well-known granular herbicide for spring and fall application, useful for some grass and broadleaf weeds.”
- Best Budget: Hi-Yield 33030 Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Comes in a bulk size of 12 pounds with a reasonable price, great for home lawns.”
- Best for St Augustine: Southern Ag 12401 Surflan A.S Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Surface-applied herbicide, able to last up for 4 months, is made to be used on warm-season turfs, especially St Augustine grass.”
- Best for Crabgrass: Scotts 32367F Turf Builder Halts Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Ideal option for crabgrass, also provides macronutrients to feed your lawns, works great despite harsh weather.”
- Best for Flower Beds: Preen 2464092 Extended Control Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Able to inhibit a long list of broadleaf and grass weeds while doing no harm to ornamentals and flower beds, easy to apply.”
- Best for Lawns: Syngenta Tenacity ASINPPOSPRME75447 Turf Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Systemic herbicide for optimal outcome, able to block 46 types of weeds, long shelf life. “
- Best for Bermudagrass: Scotts 49900 Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“A granular pre-emergent herbicide, weatherproof, effective for Bermudagrass.”
- Best for Soybeans: The Andersons Barricade Professional-Grade Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Professional-grade product with 0.48% of podiamine as an active ingredient, suitable for soybeans crops.”
- Best for Poa Annua: Bonide BND60476 Weed Beater Complete Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Able to act as pre and post-emergent herbicide, useful for tough-to-kill weeds, especially poa annua.”
- Best for Fescue: Dow Agrosciences Dimension 2EW Dithiopyr Pre-Emergent Herbicide
“Provides a wide coverage and season-long protection, appears effective for various grass and broadleaf weeds, especially keeps your ground free from fescue and crabgrass.”
Comparison Chart of Best Pre-Emergent Herbicides in 2023
The following chart features 15 best pre-emergent herbicides. Let’s put them together so that you can compare their highlight features and make a good purchase.
|Best Pre-Emergent Herbicides||Dimensions||Weight||Application Type||Active Ingredients|
|Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best Overall||4.7 x 6.95 x 10.5 inches||5 pounds||Granular||Prodiamine|
|Hi-Yield 33030 Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best Budget||17.5 x 9 x 3 inches||12 pounds||Granular||Dithyopyr|
|Southern Ag 12401 Surflan A.S Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for St Augustine||3 x 1.5 x 5 inches||12 ounces||Liquid||Oryzalin|
|Scotts 32367F Turf Builder Halts Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for Crabgrass||15.5 x 12 x 3 inches||13.35 pounds||Granular||Pendimethalin|
|Preen 2464092 Extended Control Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for Flower Beds||4.75 x 8.5 x 11.5 inches||4.93 pounds||Granular||Trifluralin, Isoxaben|
|Syngenta Tenacity ASINPPOSPRME75447 Turf Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for Lawn||2 x 2.5 x 4.5 inches||10.6 ounces||Granular||Mesotrione|
|Scotts 49900 Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for Bermudagrass||15 x 10 x 3 inches||9.63 pounds||Granular||Pendimethalin|
|The Andersons Barricade Professional-Grade Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for Soybeans||17.6 x 11.7 x 3.5 inches||18.41 pounds||Granular||Prodiamine|
|The Andersons 19-0-6 Turf Fertilizer Pre-Emergent Herbicide||Not specific||50 pounds||Granular||Prodiamine|
|Bonide BND60476 Weed Beater Complete Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for Poa Annua||14.5 x 4.5 x 15.5 inches||10.2 pounds||Granular||Sulfentrazone, Prodiamine|
|Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D Pre-Emergent Herbicide||3 x 1.5 x 5 inches||1 quart||Liquid||2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid|
|Monterey Weed Impede LG5135 White Pre-Emergent Herbicide||5 x 8 x 9 inches||2.6 pounds||Liquid||Oryzalin|
|RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Pre-Emergent Herbicide||4.25 x 7.5 x 11.88 inches||10.58 pounds||Liquid||Glyphosate, Imazapyr|
|Dow Agrosciences Dimension 2EW Dithiopyr Pre-Emergent Herbicide - Best for Fescue||9.5 x 4.5 x 3 inches||4.6 pounds||Liquid||Dithiopyr|
|Roundup 4385106 Landscape Pre-Emergent Herbicide||5 x 11.5 x 12.2 inches||5.37 pounds||Granular||Pendimethalin|
15 Best Pre-Emergent Herbicide Reviews 2023
It’s time to examine the 15 best pre-emergent herbicide products in detail. In this section, you should spend more time discovering the advantages and disadvantages of each product so that you can gain enough information to decide wisely.
1. Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG Pre-Emergent Herbicide
Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG comes with a 5-pound capacity and is stored in an airtight plastic can. This way, you can keep it dry and safe for quite a long time.
It’s a great choice for various sites, such as landscape, trees, turf, golf courses, and more. With Prodiamine as an active ingredient, this pre-emergent can prevent many types of grass and broadleaf weeds, for example, goosegrass, annual bluegrass, henbit, foxtail, knotweed, and chickweed.
Because this product is a granular herbicide, you need to water all the area thoroughly to make sure it’s dissolved into the soil. It’s suitable to apply in both spring and fall.
- 5-pound capacity
- Packed in a plastic can
- A granular herbicide
- Spring and fall application
- Well-known brand
- Apply for a variety of sites
- Effective for some grass and broadleaf weeds
- Works up to 6 months
- It’s not for plants that will be consumed for food use.
|Net Content||5 pounds|
|Use Sites||Nurse, landscape, turf, trees, golf courses|
|Effective Against||Annual bluegrass (poa annua), Henbit, Knotweed, Chickweed, Spurge, Foxtail, Goosegrass|
|Coverage||160,000 sq. ft.|
Let’s see how to apply Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG Pre-Emergent Herbicide:
2. Hi-Yield 33030 Pre-Emergent Herbicide
Hi-Yield 33030 is made to be used for ornamental landscape areas, ornamental turf, and home lawns. This granule herbicide works wonders in stopping weeds from developing in your growing zone.
It also features an affordable price, making you more likely to become a loyal customer as long as the quality comes along. It comes in bulk size of 12 pounds and is perfect for large areas.
The best part? You can use it four weeks later than other products and still get the expected result.
- Made in the USA
- Features 12 pounds of net weight
- Able to use 4 weeks later than pre-emergent window time
- Use with spreaders and broadcasters
- Affordable price
- Delivers powerful results
- Great for home use
- Available in bulk size
- This herbicide is not for commercial use
|Net Content||12 pounds|
|Use Sites||Ornamental landscape areas, ornamental turf, and home lawns|
|Effective Against||Crabgrass and many other annual types of grass and broadleaf weeds|
|Coverage area||3500 sq. ft. for warm-season grasses
5000 sq. ft. for cool-season grasses
Watch this video for more information about the product:
3. Southern Ag 12401 Surflan A.S Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for St Augustine)
Southern Ag 12401 is made to be used on warm-season turfs, mostly St Augustine grass. It’s ideal for landscape ornamentals, ornamental bulbs, non-bearing fruit and nut trees, and non-bearing vineyards.
This product keeps your ground free from annual grasses, many types of weeds, and broadleaf weeds.
It features a bright orange opaque liquid and can last up to 4 months with just 1.5 oz per 1000 sq. ft. Therefore, it’s quite economical compared to other herbicides in the market.
After spreading this herbicide, you don’t have to water the whole area immediately and can wait up to 21 days.
- Liquid herbicide
- For warm-season turfs
- Lasts up for 4 months
- 40.4% Oryzalin
- Able to delay watering for 21 days
- Surface-applied herbicide
- A long duration of effectiveness
- It might not be used for cool-season turfgrass species
|Net Content||8 ounces|
|Use Sites||Landscape ornamentals, ornamental bulbs, non-bearing fruit and nut trees, and non-bearing vineyards|
|Effective Against||Crabgrass, barley, bluegrass, foxtail, goosegrass, sandbur, chickweed, and more|
|Coverage area||1.5 oz per 1000 sq. ft.|
4. Scotts 32367F Turf Builder Halts Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for Crabgrass)
Scotts 32367F is an ideal option when it comes to preventing crabgrass and other weeds so that you can enjoy your green lawn with no sign of any of them in the next season. This 13.35-pound bag can cover 5,000 square feet of area.
It is recommended for optimal results in early spring when temperatures are about 80 degrees F.
Besides inhibiting large and smooth crabgrass, foxtail, poa annua, chickweed, spurge, it also provides macronutrients to feed the lawn.
Rain, snow, and freezing weather will not affect how this product works. However, after applying the pre-emergent herbicide, it would be best to water the grass within 2-3 days.
- 13.15-pound bag
- Fertilizer analysis of 30-0-4
- Coverage area of 5000 sq. ft.
- Should be applied in early spring
- Performs well in spite of rainy and cold weather
- Provides nutrients to the lawn
- Prevent crabgrass
- It’s not for use on dichondra or bentgrass lawns
|Net Content||13.35 pounds|
|Use Sites||Home lawns|
|Effective Against||crabgrass, foxtail, poa annua, chickweed, spurge|
|Coverage area||5000 sq. ft.|
Click to see how to prevent crabgrass with Scott:
5. Preen 2464092 Extended Control Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for Flower Beds)
Preen 2464092 is stored in a lovely jug with a convenient flip-top cap. Once it’s activated, it will create a barrier to prevent weeds.
It can last up to 6 months for every application, so you can save more time and energy while taking good care of your ornamental landscape around the year. It can be used on shrubs and trees, mainly for flower beds and gardens.
It would be better if you first remove all existing weeds, then sprinkle them around your intended area and water them immediately.
There is a long list of the broadleaf and grass weeds that this product can kill; therefore, you can rest assured that it can protect your ground very well.
- Packed in a nice and convenient jug
- Used up to 6 months
- Able to cover 805 sq. ft
- Used on shrubs, trees, flower beds
- Long-lasting pre-emergent herbicide
- Includes a list of broadleaf and grass weeds
- Easy to apply
- Prevents many types of weeds
- It’s not suitable for being used on edible plants, lawns, vegetable gardens, food-producing plants, and flower seeds
|Net Content||4.93 pounds|
|Use Sites||Ornamental landscapes, trees, and shrubs|
|Effective Against||Bluegrass, crabgrass, fescue, foxtail, chickweed, dandelion, henbit, horseweed, barley|
|Coverage area||805 sq. ft|
Watch a quick introduction about Preen Extended Control Pre-Emergent Herbicide:
6. Syngenta Tenacity ASINPPOSPRME75447 Turf Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for Lawns)
If you have a headache from the raging weeds, you will probably need help from Syngenta Tenacity.
It offers pre-and post-emergent control, which is able to stop 46 types of grass and broadleaf weeds such as dandelion, ground ivy, nimblewill, yellow foxtail, bentgrass, crabgrass, and yellow nutsedge.
It’s a systemic herbicide. This herbicide is absorbed and moved throughout a whole plant to be more specific, then kill it. That’s why Syngenta Tenacity can deal with many stubborn weeds.
Mesotrione 40%, the main active ingredient of Syngenta Tenacity, works to hinder unwanted weeds’ growth.
- Pre- and post-emergent weed control
- Systemic herbicide
- Mesotrione 40%
- Able to block 46 types of weeds
- High-quality product
- Suitable for stubborn weeds
- Long shelf-life
- Works wonders for your lawns
- It might be a bit pricey
|Net Content||8 ounces|
|Use Sites||Kentucky bluegrass, buffalograss, fine fescue, tall fescue, perennial ryegrass, St. Augustine grass, centipedegrass|
|Effective Against||Dandelion, ground ivy, nimblewill, yellow foxtail, bentgrass, crabgrass, and yellow nutsedge|
|Coverage area||1000 sq ft|
Let’s discover more about Tenacity herbicide here:
7. Scotts 49900 Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for Bermudagrass)
Scotts 49900 is a granular pre-emergent herbicide that appears effective for many types of grassy weeds; among them is the Bermudagrass. All you need to do is sprinkle it evenly on the lawn then water.
It’s weather-proof, so you can use it anytime without worrying too much about rain, snow, or freezing weather. It should be noted that you could apply it in both spring and fall at the recommended time from 6 to 10 am.
This product comes with a capacity that is enough to cover 5000 square feet and is able to prevent moss if the application happens in fall.
- Granular weed preventer
- Used on many types of lawns
- Applies in spring and fall
- Easy to use
- Able to prevent moss
- Brings expected results
- Can be used with many types of Scott spreaders
- The product might not be intended to use on dichondra and bentgrass lawns
|Net Content||10.06 pounds|
|Use Sites||Many types of lawn|
|Effective Against||Bermudagrass, crabgrass, poa annua, henbit, and chickweed|
|Coverage area||5000 sq. ft|
8. The Andersons Barricade Professional-Grade Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for Soybeans)
The Andersons Barricade is a high-quality product trusted by well-known turf care professionals, thanks to its performance.
Featuring The Andersons patented dispersible granular (DG) technology, this granular herbicide can melt into the water entirely and soak deep into the ground to kill weed seeds. To get the best result, you should follow the instruction carefully.
It’s versatile and is effective with more than 30 grass and broadleaf weeds. Moreover, due to having podiamine as an active ingredient, it appears helpful for soybeans fields.
- Unique patented DG technology
- Recommended to use in early spring and fall
- 0.48% of podiamine as an active ingredient
- Used for 30 grass and broadleaf weeds
- Potent and useful
- Professional-grade and high-quality
- Unique formula
- Not easy-to-follow direction
|Net Content||18 pounds|
|Effective Against||Crabgrass, goosegrass, foxtail, lambsquarter, henbit, and more|
|Coverage area||5800 sq. ft|
Do you know how to use Andersons 0.48% Barricade Herbicide?
9. The Andersons 19-0-6 Turf Fertilizer Pre-Emergent Herbicide
The Andersons Turf Product is a combination of fertilizer and pre-emergent herbicide in one product. It can feed your lawn and prevent undesired weeds from it.
This product can be activated quickly and able to throw a protective blanket over 5,400 to 11,100 square feet of lawn.
Owing to fertilizer analysis of 19-0-6, it provides a large amount of nitrogen and potassium, promoting deep roots and overall health for your ornamental landscapes and lawns.
When it comes to maintaining the color of grass turfs, this product performs perfectly and delivers the expected outcome.
- Contains 0.21% Barricade herbicide
- N-P-K of 19-0-6 with NutriSphere-N
- 50-pound bag
- Both fertilizer and pre-emergent herbicide
- Controls broadleaf weeds, crabgrass, annual foxtail, goosegrass, and poa annual
- Trusted brand
- 2-in-1 product
- Maintains the color of grass turf
- Broad coverage
- It might be a bit pricey
|Net Content||50 pounds|
|Use Sites||Established turf grass and lawns|
|Effective Against||crabgrass, goosegrass, annual foxtail, poa annua, chickweed, knotweed, henbit, prostrate spurge, common purslane, and more|
|Coverage area||5,400 to 11,100 sq. ft|
10. Bonide BND60476 Weed Beater Complete Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for Poa Annua)
If you are looking for a pre and post-emergent herbicide for your home lawns and garden, Bonide BND60476 might be on top of your shopping list.
This product can be applied for a broad range of weeds and can hinder clover development, dandelion, crabgrass, chickweed, nutsedge, spurge, goosegrass henbit, and ground ivy. It’s also good at terminating poa annua seeds before germinating. You can consult product’s label for more details.
It’s a systemic herbicide that proves to be extremely useful in terms of tough-to-kill weeds. It’s recommended to use 2.87 to 8.06 pounds on each 1000 sq. ft of wet ground and water within 48 hours.
- 10-pound bag
- Systemic herbicide
- Pre and post-emergent herbicide
- 87 to 8.06 pounds on every 1000 sq. ft
- Applied for a broad range of weeds
- Highly effective
- Ready to use
- Work on both warm and cool-season grass
- It might not have a clear effect on clover and ground ivy
|Net Content||10 pounds|
|Use Sites||Well-established seeded, sodded, and sprigged turfgrasses|
|Effective Against||Dandelion, clover, crabgrass, chickweed, nutsedge, spurge, goosegrass henbit, poa annua, ground ivy and more|
|Coverage area||5,200 sq. ft|
Find out more about Bonide Weed Beater Complete here:
11. Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D Pre-Emergent Herbicide
If you are concerned about broadleaf weeds, Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D will worth your consideration.
With comprehensive usage instruction, you can easily learn how to manage it successfully for the sake of your lawns and ornamental turfs. This product makes sure that you can still halt the presence of broadleaf weeds without doing any harm to other plants.
It comes with 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid as an active ingredient; therefore, it’s perfect for non-crop sites such as roadsides, industrial sites, parks, pastures, golf courses, ornamental turf, and graveyards.
- 1-quart can
- 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid as an active ingredient
- Do no harm to plants
- Designed to use on non-crop sites
- Great for broadleaf weeds
- Equipped with detailed instruction
- Quick to see the result
- It’s for use on St. Augustine grass
- Not able to kill crabgrass
|Net Content||1 quart|
|Use Sites||Roadsides, industrial sites, parks, pastures, golf courses, ornamental turf, and graveyards|
|Effective Against||Broadleaf weeds & woody plants|
|Coverage area||Not specific|
12. Monterey Weed Impede LG5135 White Pre-Emergent Herbicide
Monterey Weed Impede LG5135 is designed to control weeds from seeds, not for killing existing weeds on your lawn.
This product is surface-applied, so you shouldn’t do anything when it’s about to rain. As such, you can keep the entire amount of this herbicide in the treatment area. It would be better if the weather is calm and there is no strong wind blowing.
Once it’s applied, it can stay useful for about six months. It’s also available in 16 and 22-ounce can so that you can easily choose from.
- Surface-applied herbicide product
- Lasts up to 6 months
- Orange color
- Available in 16 and 22-ounce of capacity
- Simple to apply
- Potent and efficient pre-emergent herbicide
- Long-lasting protection
- Wide coverage
- It might be a bit pricey
|Net Content||1 quart|
|Use Sites||Ornamentals, trees, roses, bulbs, ground covers, shrubs, rock gardens, driveways, and unplanted areas|
|Effective Against||Carpet weed, Purslane, Chickweed, Groundsel, Henbit, Prostrate Spurge, Pigweed, Barnyardgrass, Lovegrass, Annual Bluegrass, Wild Oat, Large Crabgrass, Smooth Crabgrass, Foxtails, Italian Ryegrass, Goosegrass, Witchgrass|
|Coverage area||10- 20,000 sq. ft|
13. RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Pre-Emergent Herbicide
Unlike other pre-emergent herbicides on my list, RM43 is made to kill everything green in the chosen area. It can keep your ground free from weeds, broadleaf weeds for up to 12 months. As such, it seems to be economical to use.
It can also be applied as a spot treatment. That means you can use it to halt weeds, brush, vines, and undesired growth in a specific area. You should be careful when using around trees and shrubs.
Featuring a 1-gallon capacity, this herbicide can cover up to 17,297 square feet, so this product is perfect for a large area.
- Made to kill everything green
- Used for non-crop areas
- Efficient spot treatment
- A combination of herbicides and surfactant
- Lasts up to 12 months
- Covers a large area
- Maintains effectiveness for quite a long time
- Able to halt unwanted growth
- You might need to handle it properly according to instruction for safety
|Net Content||128 ounces|
|Use Sites||Non-crop areas: Fence rows, gravel paths, sidewalks, driveways, parking areas, and around farm buildings and barns|
|Effective Against||Bahiagrass, bentgrass, bermudagrass, cattail, fescue, panicum, alfalfa, clover, dandelion, kochia, alder, blackberry, dogwood, hawthorn, and more|
|Coverage area||17,297 sq. ft|
Discover more about RM43 43-Percent:
14. Dow Agrosciences Dimension 2EW Dithiopyr Pre-Emergent Herbicide
(Best for Fescue)
Dow Agrosciences Dimension 2EW is made with 24% Dithiopyr; therefore, it can kill various grass and broadleaf weeds. Notably, it would be great as a pre-emergent on fescue grass.
This active ingredient is proved to work wonders with commercial and home lawns such as sports turf, landscape ornamentals, golf course, roughs and tee boxes, and commercial sod farms.
This product is available in both 0.5-gallon and 2.5-gallon jugs. The former can cover 87,000–228,000 square feet, while the latter can handle 438,000–1,142,000 square feet.
- 24% Dithiopyr
- Works with 40 different grass and broadleaf weeds
- Used on commercial and residential lawns
- Available in both 0.5-gallon and 2.5-gallon jugs
- Comes with a slight odor
- Simple to use
- Wide coverage
- Season-long protection
- It might be suitable for fescue and crabgrass; however, it might not be too powerful for others
|Net Content||0.5 gallon|
|Use Sites||Sports turf, landscape ornamentals, golf course, roughs and tee boxes, and commercial sod farms|
|Effective Against||Crabgrass, goosegrass, foxtail, spurge, and poa annua|
|Coverage area||87,000–228,000 sq. ft|
Let’s see how it works here:
15. Roundup 4385106 Landscape Pre-Emergent Herbicide
Roundup 4385106 makes sure your lawn is weed-free and doesn’t affect the growth of plants and flowers that you work hard day and night to cultivate.
It comes in a granular form and is designed to sprinkle around the ornamental landscape, flower beds, and shrubs to prevent weeds. I would be helpful if you water the soil before and after applying.
This herbicide acts as a barrier to protect your area for up to 6 months, so you don’t need to reapply it regularly. That means you can save extra money and time.
It features 5.37 and 13-pound, stored in a convenient shaker bag with a comfortable in-bag handle.
- Packed in a shaker bag
- Built-in applicator and in-bag handle
- Able to prevent weeds in 6 months
- Available in 5.37 and 13-pound of weight
- Convenient to use
- Perfect for various types of grass weeds and broadleaf weeds
- No harm to other plants
- It might be not ideal for edible fruit, vegetables, or herb areas
|Net Content||5.37 pounds|
|Use Sites||Annual flower beds, around established trees and shrubs, near perennials, in-ground cover, and between ornamental grasses and bulbs|
|Effective Against||Barnyardgrass, bluegrass, crabgrass, crowfoot grass, foxtail, goosegrass, johnsongrass, woolly cup grass, burweed, carpetweed, chickweed, clover, evening primrose, fiddleneck, filaree, henbit, knotweed, Kochia, lambsquarters, pigweed, and more|
|Coverage area||1,000 sq. ft|
How To Choose The Best Pre-Emergent Herbicides
Some of these factors below are essential when choosing pre-emergent herbicide products. Let’s look at them one by one!
First, you need to think carefully about how wide the treatment area you want to apply a pre-emergent herbicide. Once you estimate the coverage ground, you will know how much pre-emergent herbicide you need to order.
It would be better if you don’t over-buy and have to keep it in stock. Usually, each application can last at least three months to a year, so you occasionally reapply 2 or 3 times in a row. Otherwise, you have to preserve it well for later use.
You should follow the instruction on the product label to achieve the optimal result and ensure the expected quantity and quality.
Liquid and Granular Form
There are two available forms of pre-emergent herbicide. They are liquid and granules.
Granular products are simpler to use and often comes with more affordable price. They might include some measurement scoops to help you with your application.
If you prefer a more precise distribution, you might opt for the liquid form, which is one of the advantages of granular ones. Not to mention, they can offer you excellent coverage.
For this type of pre-emergent herbicide, you will need the right sprayer applicator to use.
Targeted Grass Weeds and Broadleaf Weeds
Each product can control and suppress a list of grass weeds and broadleaf weeds. You can refer to these targeted weeds by reading the label which is included in the package before buying.
It’s essential that you can choose the product which truly serves your purposes.
If you have some questions about the best pre-emergent herbicides, you need to look at the following part.
My Top Pick
Finding the right pre-emergent herbicides for the commercial and residential lawns, ornamental landscape, and crop sites are quite challenging.
Therefore, I have spent my time reviewing the 15 best pre-emergent herbicide products in the market and dig deep into each product.
Based on my writing, you can obtain some valuable information to purchase the best option.
And the go-to product for me is Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG Pre-Emergent Herbicide for its high quality and effectiveness.
How about you? Write me in the comment section! I would love to talk more about this topic.